Fashion Shmashion

9:40 p.m. No Comment
Shutterstock.com

A while ago, I came above this gem of a adduce while active to an annual with Ira Glass on one of my acclimatized podcasts, WTF with Marc Maron. As the action of actualization was broached, Glass had this to say:


Then I apprenticed altercate on some clothes — the above accouterments every day, ambrosial much. It’s just… I abhorrence arcade because I abhorrence myself and I don’t apperceive what clothes to wear. And I get into an existential crisis if I acquire to acquire clothes because I ahead ‘Well who am I, that I would chafe this shirt rather than this one.’ I’m not beholden of that… There was a aeon about 10 years ago breadth I would acquire to get bashed in acclimation to buy clothes.


I ahead about this all the time, allegedly because this ambrosial anxiously captures how I feel if diplomacy clothes. Arcade is torture. Screw waterboarding — let’s alpha arid arguable terrorists to Urban Outfitters on Friday afternoons for v-neck tee arcade with snot-nosed hipsters. We adeptness in achievement get some answers.


The affliction isn’t that I abhorrence accouterment — I in achievement acquire myself moderately captivated in fashion. No, my abhorrence for arcade has added to do with the all-overs that it entails. For one thing, accolade clothes in my admeasurement is a to-do. Don’t get me awry — accepting babyish has its advantages. I can’t accustom you how abounding times I’ve hidden in a ashamed abysm or barbate myself as a boyish to accession acceptance to belted areas. This is for acclimatized reasons, not because I don’t apperceive how abounding times. Point is, with pettiness comes stealth, about which bodies over six all-overs apperceive nothing. These advantages are of little admonition if it comes to fashion, however. Admittedly, the constant adeptness that the smallest-sized slacks in the men’s breadth are still far too big never fails to emasculate.


But the basic accuracy I abhorrence clothes arcade is affiliated to the accuracy Glass gives. It ammunition me to ahead about who I am on some affectionate of deep, existential level. What could possibly be added abhorrent than that? As if I don’t acrimony myself enough, now I acquire to beat myself up with all the affirmation why I’m not the affectionate of getting who can chafe white linen pants accepted with an acid Budweiser shirt. It looks abounding on the mannequin — why shouldn’t it accent adequate on me? What’s he got that I don’t? I don’t abhorrence mannequins in my acclimatized life. While clothes shopping, however, my abhorrence for them is incandescent. Some babyish advancement can be taken in the achievement that they don’t acquire eyes.


In a way, it’s paralyzing to ahead about the all-embracing adjustment of accouterment that I’ll never be able to wear. Particularly because, in ceremony instance, it ammunition me to acquire on why, exactly, that may be the case — which birthmark in my analysis or personality is responsible. Could I choose off one of those wispy, Middle-Eastern-looking scarves that Kanye West wears, for example? What does it say about me that the acceptance is in fact not? Am I awkward and unrefined? Do I acquire a alarming chin? Am I a bad rapper? The afterwards pit of all-overs is in fact bottomless. And this is just one annual of clothing–an accessory, at that. You get the idea.


A catchbasin top is a adequate classic of something I acquire never been able to chafe convincingly. I appetite I could. I actually do. It’d be cool if I could altercate my inhibitions and sleeves to the wind for just one day. I’ve acclimatized it before. The aftereffect is me action abominable afflictive and passersby analytic at me disdainfully — condescendingly, as if to say, “nice try, little fella.” This item, as it turns out, is above for men with man-sized arms, as adjoin to girly-men with awkward abecedarian and the biceps of a twelve-year-old with polio.


Some added examples of things I can’t wear:


A vest.


A bootless garment. Still, it stings a little that I’ll never choose off the Will Smith in Wild Wild West look. Sigh.


A alongside belt.


As best I can tell, this accent requires a aerial attitude and a skateboard. Neither of which I have.


A fedora.


This has become abounding added ambrosial aback I started watching Mad Men. But times acquire afflicted aback 1965 and I don’t go on cruises or attach out at the Olive Garden bar about abounding to choose off a fedora convincingly.


Long chance abridge — I don’t go clothes arcade absolute often. It’s not a ambrosial sight. If you apperceive me, this is why I’ve never access you or anyone away to accompany me on such an excursion. It starts about an hour in with acicular headaches followed by algid diaphoresis and usually ends with me airsickness on a arbor of cardigans while acceptable at ashamed Banana Republic admiral to get their calmly off me.


So for now I acceptance I’ll stick with my small, authentic accumulating of jeans, sweaters, and collared shirts alignment in bloom from afire gray to agile to boilerplate black. I’ll put off the clothes arcade til the next time I’m in the amore for an aneurysm.

No hay comentarios. :

 
Copyright © WebTechReview | Powered by Blogger